Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bridal party dressed by 'Peta Pledger'


Melanie contacted me in October, and asked me if I could make her wedding dress. "I don't really make 'wedding dresses' as such, Melanie", I replied. "I know, but I am not after a 'wedding' wedding dress", Melanie replied. "Wonderful, I am the right person for you then!", I said. "Oh, and by the way, I am pregnant" Melanie added...

At first, I had a little panic attack as I had never made a wedding dress for a pregnant person before and I confess, I was a little scared.

Our first meeting was so much fun, Melanie's mother and sister came along and we settled on a design and fabric. A few weeks later, Melanie came to my studio to collect one of her bridesmaid dresses and the first thing I noticed was how much bigger Melanie's tummy had gotten!

Concerned that both my original design and fabric choice (shantung) would be too constricting, I hit the commercial pattern books to get a different perspective. I decided to use and modify a Vogue pattern as it had an empire line, open back and neckline.

We also decided to use cotton sateen as we liked the breathability of the cotton and the stretch thanks to the 5% elastaine content.

The skirt was full enough to accommodate Mel's tummy if it grew more and we made a navy blue belt that matched her gorgeous shoes.

Dressmakers will notice that the dress is half a size too big - this was intentional for two reasons, the wedding was in December (summer in Australia) and how much she would grow between dress collection and the wedding day was too unpredictable. I also wanted her to feel comfortable on her special day and not too constricted.

I am so happy with the way both the wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses looked.

Thank you so much for making me a part of your special day and thank you to Kerstin Steger for this photo, check out her super cool childrenswear label Paul & Paula here.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Good work! I made a dress for a pregnant bridesmaid once, and when she collected it it didn't fit any more. Mortifying!

Related Posts with Thumbnails