Thursday, September 17, 2009

Non-wedding dress looks charming


When Sally and I sat down for our first consultation, the first thing she said was something like, "I know you don't make wedding dresses but...". As I generally don't make wedding or bridesmaid dresses, I was hesitant at first, but in the end was really glad that I took on this project.

Sally chose an existing design from my online folio and I have to say, this was one of the most stress free and delightful projects I have ever worked on.

Throughout the construction of the dress, we nicknamed it the "non-wedding dress" as I know that I would have suffered from anxiety if I attached the word "wedding" to it.

We chose 100% Polyester Cream coloured Shantung and used 100% Viscose lining. We decided against 100% Silk as Sally wanted to keep creasing to a minimum. A white petticoat was worn underneath and our original idea of a sash, ribbon or self covered belt was discarded on the wedding day, which I think worked well.

Sally's sister Claire accompanied Sally to all of her fittings which was great as it was good to have a third person to help with fitting and styling decisions.

Red shoes and her mothers re-worked wedding veil completed the outfit beautifully.

Sally, thank you so much for choosing me to make your "non-wedding dress", you looked as perfect as I imagined on your wedding day and I look forward to seeing more photos soon!

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Thank-you for sharing, what a lovely classic dress. And thanks for the link to your flickr portfolio as well - lovely stuff.

petapledger said...

You're welcome, and thank you too! :)

Jennie said...

It's lovely! It's nice working with non-bridey brides.

Evie said...

very sweet i love this 'non wedding dress' x

petapledger said...

thank you Jennie and Handmade! :)

Nikki said...

PERFECT! Love it! Classic and elegant, and not at all like a meringue.

I never was a fan of the meringue wedding gown.

mixtape- craftzine said...

beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails